Government Funding

Who is entitled to government care and support?

Any adult who has “eligible” needs, determined by a local authority assessment. The person will have eligible needs if they meet all of the following:

  • They have care and support needs as a result of a physical or a mental condition.
  • Because of those needs, they cannot achieve two or more specific outcomes – such as being able to prepare and eat food and drink, or being able to dress appropriately, for example during cold weather.
  • As a result, there is a significant impact on their wellbeing.

What happens if I meet the eligibility criteria?

Your local authority will design a care and support plan and carry out a financial assessment to work out how much you should contribute to the plan. Income and assets such as a house are considered. People will only be asked to pay what they can afford.

At present, if your capital and savings are below £14,250 you have your care paid for by the government. If you have between £14,250 and £23,250 in capital and savings, the council will contribute toward your care cost. If you have capital and savings above £23,250, you will fund your own social care.

Who will be my care provider?

If you are deemed eligible and pass the financial assessment for government funded care the local authority will approach the care providers. Each local authority will have a different care model they operate with, which care providers will have tendered (e.g, A local authority may appoint one care provider to provide all care and support or may appoint several providers).

Once the local authority has appointed a care provider an arranged start date and time will be scheduled and your care and support will begin. The council will make payment to the appointed care provider for the services you receive.